[DCRM-L] DCRM editorial question: Spacing (0G4) vs. Initials (0G10)

Stephen A Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 16 04:09:58 MDT 2012

I think Erin's right.

0G4 addresses spacing that's irregular because it's ambiguous, antiquated, or otherwise variant. 0G10 addresses spacing within and around standard abbreviations and initialisms. But it's a distinction without much of a difference, and the absence of "see also" references is definitely a problem.

Erin's proposed 0G4.x solution works for me. And I don't think the heading for 0G4, "Spacing," would need to be expanded to accommodate the additional content. Every rule in 0G10 is indeed about spacing.

Stephen
________________________________
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] on behalf of Erin Blake [EBlake at folger.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:11 PM
To: DCRM-L (dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu)
Subject: [DCRM-L] DCRM editorial question: Spacing (0G4) vs. Initials (0G10)

Test-drivers of the DCRM(G) draft have asked why instructions about when to add or omit spaces are split between 0G4 ("Spacing") and 0G10 (called "Initials, etc." but in fact entirely about spacing of initials and abbreviations), and why there are no "see also" references between them.

There is no equivalent in AACR2, so it's not a case of "not deviating from AACR2."

I was trying to figure out how to put a "see also 0G10" in 0G4, but the only place it would logically fit is in the heading itself. It seems that 0G10 (spacing of initials, etc.) should instead be 0G4.x, another example of a special case of spacing (and because 0G10 is the last in the 0Gx sequence, moving it to 0G4.4 wouldn't cause cascading re-numbering).

Does anyone see another way around this? Or should I put it to this listserv and BSC as a Discussion of Proposed Change (DPC)?

Thanks,

   Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu |  collation.folger.edu