[DCRM-L] RDA question

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Wed Mar 21 10:35:27 MDT 2012

Allison,

Lori Dekydtspotter and I will moderate a discussion session on this very topic at the 2012 RBMS Preconference.

Discussion Session 5: The Future of Rare Materials Cataloging Standards: Can DCRM and RDA Get Along?
Facilitators: Francis Lapka, Yale Center for British Art, and Lori Dekydtspotter, Lilly Library, Indiana University

The session will address the current state of RDA and how it compares to DCRM (i.e., in terms of overall goals, descriptive principles and specific instructions). An upcoming 2012 BSC position paper on DCRM/RDA will provide specific talking points and issues for attendees to consider. Participants will leave with a better understanding of how RDA might affect rare materials cataloging now and in the future, with a specific eye towards its possible effect on the DCRM suite of manuals. This discussion should aid in the establishment of a community consensus on specific recommendations for the future of cataloging with RDA and DCRM standards.  http://preconference.rbms.info/schedule.html#thursday

As alluded to above, the discussion will incorporate a report by the BSC's Task Force on DCRM and RDA. The charge for this task force is available here: http://www.rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/conference-docs/BSCTaskForceDCRM-RDA_charge_20120113.pdf

Perhaps members of that group would like to comment on their progress.

Also of possible interest is an upcoming ALCTS webinar on rare materials and RDA, to be presented by Robert Maxwell and John Attig (on May23):  http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/cat/052312

Francis

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>