[DCRM-L] Final Report of the BSC Task Force on DCRM/RDA

Young, Stephen stephen.young at yale.edu
Fri Nov 2 13:47:09 MDT 2012

Dear DCRM Colleagues,

I commend the BSC Task Force on DCRM/RDA for its Final Report. The recommendations at the end of the report seem reasonable except for the second and final bullets. I suggest that for the coming months, the Bib Standards Committee focus its efforts on bringing the nearly completed modules to completion with their existing ISBD structure. No new revision of DCRM,  DCRM(B) or DCRM(S) is needed or desirable at this time and would in my opinion be a waste of time and resources given the LC-PCC PS for RDA 0.2 prescribing continued use of the existing DCRM(B) and DCRM(S) when appropriate. No editorial group should be appointed until June 2014 at the earliest so that RDA is less of a moving target and we have a clearer sense of what purpose a revision might actually serve. DCRM(B), though arranged differently from RDA, seems quite compatible with it and would be even more compatible if PCC approves the RDA BSR for Rare Materials, with its recommendations for style and extent of item, already approved by BSC.

Stephen R. Young
Rare Book Team Leader
Catalog and Metadata Services
Sterling Memorial Library