[DCRM-L] nomenclature for insertion found in an 18th C. book

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 6 15:53:11 MST 2012

Greetings all,

I'm cataloging a book, translated from the French into Spanish, and published in Madrid in 1776. The subject is mediations on the soul and I've discovered a slip of paper which I would like to mention with a bit more precision than I can discover through the RBMS CV.

It measures 35 x 89 mm and is printed with the text, "TORTOSA. Ano 1846. Yo [an abbreviated name in mss.] he examinado, y confesado a en la Sta. Iglesia Catedral." To the left of this text is a monogram cypher with the coronet of a marquis above the letters and a "man in the moon" face on a crescent moon facing upwards. The cypher and moon are in an oval cartouche with double rule.

At first I thought it was an inspector's slip, but  70 years is a bit of a lag. Any other ideas are welcome.

The book is by Caraccioli.

Thanks!

Nina

Nina M. Schneider