[DCRM-L] NACO was: Confused by transcription of i/j and u/v

Mon Nov 19 15:42:07 MST 2012

Ted,

You (and others) might find this site helpful. Manon Théroux put it together as part of a Bib Standards-sponsored seminar at an RBMS preconference: http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/rarebookteam/rbtnaco/index.htm

The section entitled Cross-References For I/J and U/V Variants answers your question.

Once authority practice settles down, perhaps something similar could be created and linked to from the BSC site.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Ted P Gemberling
Sent: Monday, 19 November 2012 17:08
To: 'DCRM Revision Group List'
Subject: [DCRM-L] NACO was: Confused by transcription of i/j and u/v

Deborah,
I had one more question on that point that relates to setting up NACO headings. I have transcribed an author's name as Iacobus Theuart based on the DCRM(b) rules. But the established heading for the person sets it up as Jacobus Thevart (actually, that's the 400 for the established form Jacques). Would you consider it worthwhile to add another 400 Theuart, Iacobus?

I suppose maybe I should send this question to the PCC list, but since you answered my question about the transcription, I thought it would be good to ask you.

Thanks,
Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library
(205)934-2461