[DCRM-L] Gathered in 9's?

Thu Nov 29 10:06:00 MST 2012

We're cataloging an 1825 Boston imprint of William Bellamy, Select comedies from Shakspeare, which is gathered in 9's throughout. Our deteriorating copy with uncut leaves have helped us determine that the singleton is inserted after the 4th leaf of each gathering.

I've long known about the existence of gatherings in 9's--and give it as the one exception to prohibition against signature statements with a superscript odd number--and am pretty sure I even handled one at the Library Company, but can't track down documentation on it. The ExLibris-L archives are down so I can't search there. I seem to remember it as a Philadelphia German thing. Before we put down the signatures as A-L^9, though, it would be nice to have confirmation that this formulation is legit. As for identifying the format, Jaggard (Shakespeare bibliography) calls it a 12mo but I'm inclined to call it an 8vo.

Thanks,
Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>