[DCRM-L] DPC for Area 4, manufacture elements

Kate Moriarty moriarks at slu.edu
Thu Sep 13 12:51:01 MDT 2012

Hi Jain,

Thanks for putting this together. Here are my thoughts on the two proposed
changes.

Proposed Change 1:
I agree with you that it's worth retaining rule 4A.6.2.2 as is so that
there are instructions on supplying publisher, etc. information when it can
be determined. But I like the idea of keeping the suggested new rule with
the other general instructions in 4A. What about this: Follow rule 4A6.2.2.
with a new rule, 4A6.2.3, that includes some of your wording.

4A6.2.3. If the manufacturer is known not to be the publisher, distributor,
etc., and some or all of the details about the publisher, distributor, etc.
are unknown, transcribe the manufacturer statement as such according to the
instructions in 4E, 4F, and 4G.

[S.l. : s.n., 1856] (Boston : Farwells & Forrest, steam job printers, 5
Lindall Street)

Proposed Change 2:
One of the examples under 4A6.2.1 has a date of 1907 so it appears that
this rule was not meant to be exclusively for hand-press material.
Additionally, changing it would make the "However" in 4A6.2.2 ambiguous:
does it refer to only hand-press publication without publisher,
distributor, etc., statements or to all material? I think it can stand as
it is.

-Kate

--
Kate S. Moriarty, MSW, MLS  |  Rare Book Catalog Librarian  |  Pius XII
Memorial Library  |