[DCRM-L] Relationship designator question

Mon Sep 17 15:01:06 MDT 2012

We do have the note in the record of course, that it is without the music. I rather like the idea of making a related work access point for the work with the music, since Arne is the author for it.

If Arne were not the main entry, though, that solution wouldn't work for the general principle.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Monday, 17 September 2012 13:52
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Relationship designator question

Since Arne doesn’t actually have a direct relationship to the work represented in this manifestation (the text alone), I’d do a related work access point (possible in RDA):

700 1      $i Libretto for (work): $a Arne, Thomas Augustine, $d 1710-1778. $t Sheep-shearing.

meaning the resource we are describing is the libretto for the musical work Sheep-shearing by Arne. The relationship designator comes from RDA Appendix K.

If just part of the play is the songs set by Arne, it might be better to use the designator “Musical setting (work)”:

700 1      $i Musical setting (work): $a Arne, Thomas Augustine, $d 1710-1778. $t Sheep-shearing.

Either way we’re linking the text to the separate musical work.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602