[DCRM-L] Relationship Designators

Wed Sep 19 14:42:51 MDT 2012

Eileen,

Are you aware of the discussion we had on this topic on DCRM-L in July?

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Dewitya, Eileen Heeran
Sent: Wednesday, 19 September 2012 15:52
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: [DCRM-L] Relationship Designators

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing on behalf of the PCC Relationship Designators Task Group.  The Task Group has been charged to provide a policy statement and guidelines for providing relationship designators in PCC RDA bibliographic records.  While not core in RDA, relationship designators have the potential to add significant value to metadata by expressing relationships among entities, and enhancing a user's ability to make connections between those entities.

The Task Group consists of catalogers representing the following formats: rare books, cartographic materials, music, audio-visual, and continuing resources; as well as representatives from OCLC, LC, and PoCo.  We are each individually responsible for forming a list of core relationship designators from our respective cataloging communities.  We will then compare the lists and see where the overlap exists.  These terms will then be compared to those in RDA Appendix I.  Our report to the PCC Policy Committee is due October 15, 2012.

We would greatly appreciate your input and feedback on core terms for the rare book cataloging community.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration,

Eileen

Eileen Heeran Dewitya
Asst. Head of Technical Services for Special Collections
CB# 3926 Wilson Library
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890

Phone: 919.962.6901