[DCRM-L] DCRM-RDA Task Force report

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:42:04 MDT 2012

You're right, the date elements are all treated the same as far as I can tell. But the *number* in the date element can be transcribed if that's the form preferred by the agency-for example, under "Date of Publication," 2.8.6.3 refers us to 2.8.1, which in turn (under 2.8.1.4) refers us to 1.8 for recording the number. 1.8.2 says to record numerals in the form preferred by the agency, and one possibility for the preferred form is "the form in which they appear on the source", i.e., a transcribed form. This is LC's preferred form, and that's also the form preferred for rare materials in the BSR. But that only applies to the numeral part, so in the copyright element itself there isn't any provision for transcribing the whole copyright statement, even though the numeral itself might be transcribed.  (As you said ... and I don't disagree at all that examples and guidelines would be helpful, of course!)

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602