[DCRM-L] chapbooks: SH or FG?

Ryan Hildebrand ryan.hildebrand at austin.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 1 15:22:29 MDT 2013

Hi Silvana,

The latter two options make sense, the first, not so much as it would indicate aboutness rather than form. In local systems with a dedicated genre/form index, I find the 655 option most appealing. If using the term "Chapbooks" as found in the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies, subfield 2 is coded rbgenr.

If subject and genre headings are lumped together in a single subject index, a 650 with |v may be seen to have the advantage of indicating form unambiguously. That said, I believe I would still enter as 655, and would not double index with a 650.

I can't offer strong reasons for my preference, except the 655 option strikes me as more intuitive, and possibly more useful in the not-so-distant future when our data might be more easily faceted. -Ryan

--
Ryan Hildebrand
Book Cataloging Dept. Head