[DCRM-L] Term for adhesions?

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 21 12:09:45 MDT 2013

Thanks Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Deborah J. Leslie
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:44 AM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Term for adhesions?

If they're pictorial, Extra-illustrated copies is appropriate, even if they don't illustrate the text.

At the Folger, we will call something extra-illustrated in a note if it has extra stuff stuck in, but will only trace it as Extra-illustrated if there is so much extra stuff to necessitate rebinding. Otherwise we trace as "Insertions." As is obvious, we understand "illustrated" to cover a multitude of genres.

>From our documentation:

Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
 	Folger practice: Use only when enough material was added to necessitate rebinding. Otherwise, use Insertions (Provenance)

Insertions (Provenance)
 	Use for any kind of insertion that might allow identification of the provenance, e.g., autograph letter, news clipping, photograph, etc. Folger practice: Use for insertions with intrinsic interest (e.g., flyers, pictures, flowers, newspaper clippings), whether there is just one or several. Do not use for insertions without intrinsic interest, such as a plain strip of paper used as a bookmark, unless there's firm evidence of specific former owner placement (for example, if it's pinned). For numerous insertions requiring rebinding, use Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance).