[DCRM-L] DCRM-RDA update

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Tue Dec 10 06:44:58 MST 2013

In November, the DCRM-RDA editorial group gathered in Columbus and made fairly good progress working on objectives and principles for a consolidated and RDA-compatible DCRM. For convenience, we've taken to calling our project DCRM2 (as a working title only).

Before Midwinter, we intend to offer two significant avenues for community input on our current endeavors. In January, we hope to provide a provisional DCRM2 interpretation of RDA guidelines 0.0-2.2 (which include core principles and rules for transcription). This initial interpretation, in the form of comparative tables, will not offer anything like finished wording of DCRM2 rules for these sections, but will attempt to declare the general principles that should be followed. Everyone in the community will have an opportunity to comment (and suggest improvements!) to the draft.

This week, we would like to pose a series of questions to this list on issues that proved tricky in our Columbus discussions. Each issue will be sent to DCRM-L in a separate thread; they are as follows (in no particular order):

*         AMREMM and DCRM2

*         Sources of information and the use of square brackets

*         Ligatures

*         Transcription of punctuation

We hope that discussions prove lively. We intend to record summaries of each on our project wiki.

Thanks,
Francis

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>

Please note:  The Study Room is closed due to the Center's refurbishment project, and access to the collections is limited and by appointment only. Requests for materials from Prints and Drawings and Rare Books and Manuscripts should be made at least two weeks in advance by e-mailing ycba.prints at yale.edu<mailto:ycba.prints at yale.edu>. It is expected that normal services in the Study Room will resume in early January 2014.