[DCRM-L] DCRM2: transcription of punctuation

JOHN C ATTIG jxa16 at psu.edu
Thu Dec 12 08:40:35 MST 2013

I find it ironic that the current standard for describing rare materials considers that "marks of punctuation are not an aspect of the transcription that can be used to identify a resource," but that the standard for general cataloging at least implies the opposite.

I think that Erin has a point, both about the (lack of) justification for deviating from RDA and about the practical benefits of not having to decide how to modify punctuation appearing on the source.

On a related issue, has there been any consideration of NOT including ISBD punctuation in DCRM2 descriptions? Are there external mandates that require that we apply ISBD? Might this be a good time to reconsider this relationship?

John Attig
Penn State University
jxa16 at psu.edu