[DCRM-L] Deckled edges vs. Untrimmed edges

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Thu Dec 12 16:26:24 MST 2013

I think the noun/verb issue Richard mentioned is the key: these aren't deckle edges (which are naturally-occurring on untrimmed handmade sheets). They've been "deckled" (by a deckler?).

So, "deckled edges" or "artificial deckle edges" but not "artificial deckled edges."

Erin.

----------------
Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Interim Head of Collection Information Services and Cataloging; Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20009  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0323>  |  fax +1 202-675-0328<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0328>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Ted P Gemberling
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:45 PM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Deckled edges vs. Untrimmed edges

Richard,
I just saw one thing that bears out your interpretation. The books with "Deckled edges" are all published in 1893 or 1894. They appear to be histories of printing. One is The binding of books by Herbert P. Horne, and another, Early printed books by E. Gordon Duff. Were those known to be printed in an intentionally "old-fashioned" style?

Our books with "Untrimmed edges" are all much earlier, but maybe that's mainly because we don't ordinarily put physical description 655's on books later than about the early 19th century.
Ted