[DCRM-L] Alternative to "xylographic"

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Dec 17 14:05:31 MST 2013

I suppose the attraction of "xylographic" is that it corresponds
semantically to "typographic". But we have "woodcut".

How to phrase it? "First word is a woodcut", "First word is woodcut",
"First word is printed from a woodcut block"? I ask, because in ordinary
discourse there's a strong pictorial connotation to "woodcut", where the
technical term "xylographic" simply means "printed from wood", with the
understanding that it's from a block,  not wood type.

Anyway, "woodcut"--or "wood engraving", if we're describing such a
thing--does seem like the best candidate.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>