[DCRM-L] Sammelband, Omnibus, Nonce

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Fri Jan 4 21:48:37 MST 2013

Thank you for clarifying my misunderstandings.  Yes, an atlas factice is a
composite volume.  For the reason I gave earlier, I think that composite
volume is a better term than pamphlet or tract volume.   When and where
did German bibliographers diverge from common usage (if it can be called
that) on the meaning of Sammelband?

Larry
--
Laurence S. Creider
Interim Head
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu

On Fri, January 4, 2013 7:19 pm, JOHN LANCASTER wrote:
> [...]
>>> described by F. R. Johnson in his Spenser bibliography, in which
>> reprinted
>>> sheets complicate the changing combinations of editions collected.
>>>
>>> I suggested the term for the RBMS thesauri back in September 2009; it
>> doesn’t seem to have been acted on as yet.
>>>
>>> The term “nonce collection” has occasionally been used in the same
>>> sense
>> as “Sammelband” is widely used (at least by incunabulists), i.e. a group
>> of separately published items bound together subsequent to publication,
>> by
>>> an owner rather than a bookseller-publisher, and without a printed
>>> title
>> page or contents list (though they often have such in manuscript), but I
>> don’t find this to be very common.  Nicholas Pickwoad urges using the
>> phrase “composite volume” for such collections, which has the virtue of
>> not using a German term in English, when the German usage may vary from
>> what is intended in English.  (And would avoid the awkward English
>> plural
>>> “Sammelbands” found in the RBMS Provenance Thesaurus, with a reference
>> from the German “Sammelbände”.
>>>
>>> Aside from this occasional confusion (not unheard of in other
>>> bibliographical terminologies), the phrase “nonce collection” seems to
>> me
>>> a very useful one to describe the collection of multiple
>>> separately-published items (almost always short pamphlets) by a
>>> bookseller-publisher, usually furnished with a collective title page,
>> sometimes with a contents list.  Each instance of the collection may
>> (and
>>> often does) vary in content - at least in the edition of any given
>> component, sometimes in the number of items included.
>>>
>>> John Lancaster
>>>
>>> P.S.  Thanks to Mac Mail’s search function, I find I wrote on this on
>> ExLibris a couple of years ago; here’s what I said (apologies for
>> repetition, like Mark Twain, I don’t have time to write a shorter
>> version):
>>>

>>> By a ‘nonce collection’, I mean a collection of separately published
>> works
>>> put together by a bookseller/publisher with a collective title page
>>> (and
>> sometimes other preliminaries).  Different copies of such collections
>> may
>>> at times contain different editions of the individual works – it’s
>> generally assumed that this was a way of trying to move stock.  It’s
>> also
>>> a way to put together a “collected works” or “collected sermons”
>>> without
>> the expense of reprinting them.
>>>
>>> Search for instance in ESTC “fielding dramatic works 1755” – you get
>>> the
>> collection under that title, plus records for all the separate works
>> that
>>> made up the collection, with a note “also issued in
” (or some such