[DCRM-L] Relator term

Barbara Tysinger btysingr at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 26 14:18:32 MDT 2013

I am cataloging an illuminated doctoral diploma in philosophy and
medicine, presented to Franciscus Regis Sebastianus Hentschel (Franz
Hentschel) of Silesia, 1746.
/Alma mater Studiorum Universita? di Bologna./ [6] leaves (vellum) bound
; 23 cm.
With 2 colored coats of arms and 2 initials; pages with gold border and
some text in gold; bound in brown calf with gold tooling; stab hole
through covers and manuscript.

I would like to add a relator term for the degree recipient, Franz
Hentschel, but I can't find anything in the code lists that seems to fit.
My first choice would have been "diplomate" but that was not listed. I
then looked for "matriculant", "student", "scholar", and "alumni", all
also unavailable.
I considered "dissertant", but this isn't his dissertation; "respondent"
(2nd meaning), but again, this is not the defense of his thesis; and
"licensee", which simply does not have the right meaning.

Is it acceptable to use a term (diplomate) not on the established MARC
list? If so, is there a way to designate that it is a locally assigned term?
Or is it better to pick the closest match from the MARC list
("dissertant"?), or to simply not use a relator term?

Thank you!
Barbara

...................All opinions are entirely my own....................

Barbara R. Tysinger                                Phone: (919)966-0949
Health Sciences Library                            Fax: (919)966-1388
e-mail: Barbara_Tysinger at unc.edu

.....Connecting People Everywhere With Knowledge to Improve Health.....