[DCRM-L] A signature question

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 25 16:06:33 MDT 2013

Oh, collective wisdom:

I am cataloging a copy of James Howell's Epistolae Ho-elianae (5th ed.,
1678; ESTC R14264)

It is an octavo in 8s, $4 signed. The preliminary gathering of the book
contains the title page, added engraved t.p., dedication, a poem, and a
table. The text begins with the second gathering.

In the preliminary gathering, the first two leaves are unsigned, the
third leaf is signed "A3" and the fourth leaf is signed "a4". The text
is signed A-2K. My question is how to record the preliminary gathering
in the Signatures statement:

1) [superscript pi]A^8

2) a^8

Clearly either A3 or a4 is a typographical error. (There are numerous
pagination errors throughout, as well). If the lower-case 'a' came
first, I wouldn't have any question.

Thanks!

--
Randal Brandt
rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu
"It's hard enough to remember my opinions without
remembering my reasons for them"--The Streets.