[DCRM-L] 008/15-17 in collection-level records, or, DCRM(B) vs. OCLC

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue May 28 12:32:49 MDT 2013

Happy Tuesday!

An interesting question came up as my intern, Daniella Aquino, was cataloging religious pamphlets as original, collection-level records. These pamphlets were published in London, Bath, and Edinburgh, so we'd like to us "vp_" in the 008 (country of publication) as instructed in DCRM(B) Appendix B4. However, OCLC clearly states not to use vp_ . Quoting from the web page: "Use the code for various places of publication ( vp ) only if the imprint has v.p. Do not use the abbreviation v.p. in AACR2 cataloging. Do not use code vp for original cataloging." (see: http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/ctry.html)

I assume DCRM(B) is the standard to follow, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks!

Nina

Nina M. Schneider
Head Cataloger