[DCRM-L] 008/15-17 in collection-level records, or, DCRM(B) vs. OCLC

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue May 28 16:14:30 MDT 2013

Thanks Erin

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Erin Blake
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:00 PM
To: DCRM Revision Group List (dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu)
Cc: Daniella Aquino (daniella_aquino2002 at yahoo.com)
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] 008/15-17 in collection-level records, or, DCRM(B) vs. OCLC

OCLC's instruction about "vp_" deviates from MARC 21 and from the two Library of Congress Cataloging Service Bulletins that formed the basis of the appendix in DCRM(B) and DCRM(S).

CSB 53 (1991) and 78 (1991) both say "If all the items were published in a single country (or state, province, etc.) the code for that country is given. If the items were published in more than a single country, the code vp# is given."

MARC 21 says "vp# - Various places: Various places are associated with different parts of items, generally a collection."

I vote that you follow DCRM, LC, and MARC. If OCLC's system has a problem with it, they can bulk change it at their end. (This opinion is my own and does not represent Folger policy)

  Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu |  collation.folger.edu