[DCRM-L] Occupation in authority record: 374 Bookseller $2 marcrelator

Wed Nov 20 12:38:42 MST 2013

Once upon a time, the MARC Office insisted that only the codes in the MARC Code List for Relators comprised the standard; the terms were there as a convenience but weren't part of the "standard." (Similar to the prefatory material and the appendixes in NISO Z39.19, for those who have slogged through the controlled vocabularies standard.)

Has that stance changed? If not, and if one wanted to be excruciatingly particular, "374 Bookseller ‡2 marcrelator" is arguably incorrect.

I believe there was a recent project to reconcile the RBMS terms with the terms in the MARC code list, but can't track it down. Are we certain that both the forms and the scope notes are identical in both lists?

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., S.E. | Washington, D.C. 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 202.675-0369 | http://www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Erin Blake
Sent: Wednesday, 20 November 2013 14:04
To: DCRM-L (dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu)
Subject: [DCRM-L] Occupation in authority record: 374 Bookseller $2 marcrelator

FYI, this seems worth sharing with the larger group, in case others were as slow to put it together as I was. Instead of "Booksellers and bookselling $2 lcsh" for Occupation in an authority record, we can use "Bookseller $2 marcrelator"

Long story short, for anyone who reads the whole thread, I'm not going to propose a code for RBMS relationship designators. It might be nice to have in theory, but I'm moving on to other things now.

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Interim Head of Collection Information Services and Cataloging; Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. +1 (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  +1 (202) 675-0328  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu> |  collation.folger.edu