[DCRM-L] Invocations

Tony Curwen tony.curwen at zen.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 14:49:23 MST 2013

A week ago Deborah Leslie showed us an interesting pious invocation. Alas,
this hasn't proved one of those Friday or Saturday afternoon diversions
which elicit comments, questions and further examples.

A question, then: Do the relevant rules apply equally to non-Christian
invocations? Once, when hunting for works which illustrated a variety of
cataloguing problems, I found a Muslim book entitled Prophet Yunus
(Alaihissalam). It is neither old nor rare, but its title shows the pious
invocation commonly used after the name of the Prophet Mohammed and also
others revered in Islam. I didn't pursue this line of enquiry at the time,
so have no idea whether Muslim cataloguers invariably keep these
invocations when recording titles and statements of responsibility or
sometimes omit them.

[For those requiring a reference, this was example no.2 in my little
magnum opus (magnum opus parvum?), ISBD manual : a guide... Paris :
Unesco, 1990. The odd copy may still be gathering dust somewhere, long
since overtaken by developments].

Have List users other examples of invocations, both Christian and Muslim
and perhaps also from other faiths and persuasions?

Tony Curwen
Aberystwyth

Consultant, CERL (retired)
Lecturer, College of Librarianship Wales (even longer retired)