[DCRM-L] Form of preferred name for pre-1801 persons

Kate Moriarty moriarks at slu.edu
Tue Oct 15 13:55:10 MDT 2013

In determining the form of preferred name for a pre-1801 person, is there
an equivalent for LCRI 22.1B 2) in RDA?

Here are the two rules.

LCRI 22.1B. 2): For persons living before 1801, when chief sources of
information show one form of name and another form is used in modern
reference sources in the person's language, prefer the latter.

RDA 9.2.2.5.4 Spelling:
 If:
variant spellings of a person’s name are found
and
these variations are not the result of different transliterations
 then:
choose the form of name found in the first resource received.

In the 1711 work I'm cataloging, the colophon (a prescribed, not a chief
source of information, I know) names the printer as "Jacque Quillau"
(without an s) but the Bibliothèque nationale de France uses "Jacques
Quillau" (with an s) as their authorized form.

LCRI 22.1B 2) would instruct to use the BnF form, "Jacques," in the 100 but
it appears that RDA 9.2.2.5.4 is encouraging "Jacque." Is that a correct
interpretation?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Kate

--
Kate S. Moriarty, MSW, MLS  |  Rare Book Catalog Librarian  |  Associate
Professor  |  Pius XII Memorial Library  |