[DCRM-L] MSS editions To bracket or not in cataloging manuscripts

Margaret F. Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 10 08:08:11 MDT 2013

We DCRM(MSS) editors agree wholeheartedly, Richard, that scripts, screenplays, and the like fall into a real gray area, bringing up a number of intriguing questions (or sucking one into a number of intellectual swamps, depending on one's outlook). For one: When does a work cross the dividing line between "unpublished" and "published"? If I write a letter to Mother on a typewriter using carbon paper, so that there are two carbon copies in addition to the original, and I hand the two copies to my siblings, does it count as a publication? What if I take the same letter and run off 10 copies on a photocopier and send them out to family members? What if I run off 50 copies on the photocopier and sell them downtown for 10 cents each? Which of these factors (if any) makes the letter a publication? If the letter is handwritten rather than typewritten, does that make it "more manuscript-y"? Should it matter whether it's handwritten or typewritten?

Another issue: Is a version of a manuscript equivalent in some sense to an edition of a published work? Where does version information belong in the catalog record?

Another issue: What balance should be struck between consistency across formats on the one hand, and responsiveness to the nature of each format in the interests of accurate description on the other hand? RDA is pulling us firmly onto the side of consistency across formats, but what's the tradeoff that we make if we go that route? Where do we strike the balance between consistency and flexibility? Where do we obey RDA, and where do we beg to differ?

The DCRM(MSS) editorial team will be wrestling with some of these issues next week at its Fall meeting. Wish us luck (and strong coffee)!

Best,

Margaret