[DCRM-L] Printers' widows

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Tue Sep 10 11:15:27 MDT 2013

Kathie,
I looked at the old LCRI 22.2, and it does seem that it was clearer than the current LC-PCC PS. Case 1 reads “if the personal name of the widow of a printer is used in the item being cataloged or in reference sources (cf. LCRI 22.1B) but is also referred to as the widow of the printer, establish the printer under her personal name.” I wonder why the LC-PCC PS reversed that to “If a woman is referred to as a 'printer's widow' in the resource being cataloged and/or in reference sources and her personal name is known …” Maybe someone just screwed up in transposing some of the phrases when it was adapted for RDA.

The LCRI provides three very clear examples:

1)      Bonhomme, Yolanda (personal name)

2)      Vidua Gothofredi Liebernickelii

3)      Vandenhoeck, widow

That implies to me that the phrase in direct order (case 2) is usable only when you have more than the surname of the deceased printer.

Richard’s response:

“In that case, la veuve Bordelet is not identified only by a surname and term such as “widow,” but rather is identified only as the widow of the printer …”

seems to conceive Veuve as if it might be some sort of forename. But you can’t be a widow without being a widow of someone, so I think the distinction between 2 and 3 must lie in whether you have the deceased printer’s full name.

I agree with you that Bordelet, Marie-Jeanne is the most appropriate form for the case you brought up. The personal name is especially appropriate for this case since she was widow to more than one printer.

Best, Ted Gemberling