[DCRM-L] RDA BSR now covers DCRM(B, G, M) but has an odd 007/00 note

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Sat Apr 26 19:30:04 MDT 2014

Just re-read what I wrote about the BSR, and realized it's unclear. Here's a translation: the Rare Materials 007 should have been changed so that the section only applies graphics, and to microforms of books and music. Something went wrong, because the new wording doesn't make sense.

EB.

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] on behalf of Erin Blake
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:22 PM
To: DCRM-L (dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu)
Subject: [DCRM-L] RDA BSR now covers DCRM(B, G, M) but has an odd 007/00 note

In case I'm not the only one who wasn't paying attention, the 15 April 2014 revision of the RDA BSR is out. See http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/scs/documents/PCC-RDA-BSR.pdf . Yay!

The 007/00 instruction note for "Rare Materials (Books, Graphics, and Notated Music)" on page 35 has become garbled, though. It says "See requirements in separate sections for Graphic Materials. Notated use “h”" -- and neither of those makes sense.

It looks like something got mixed up when the BSR was being modified so that 007 for Rare Materials only applies to graphics, microform notated music, and microform textual monographs.

I have a pretty good idea what ought to be there, but before writing something out, I wondered if someone was already on it. Any idea?

Thanks,

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  fax +1 202-675-0328  |  www.folger.edu