[DCRM-L] Invitation to comment re: Simplification of RDA 2.7-2.10

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 8 12:24:33 MDT 2014

Dear all,

Alan Danskin, the British Library's representative to the RDA JSC, has
submitted a proposal which would significantly reorganize RDA instructions
2.7-2.10 for production, publication, distribution and manufacture
(referred to as PPDM in the proposal) statements. The proposal offers two
implementation scenarios, both of which emphasize a separation between the
transcription of PPDM statements and recording of PPDM attributes of the
manifestation. The full report is available here:

http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-BL-rep-1.pdf

As this proposal will have direct effects on the DCRM-RDA standard in
development, we hope that the rare materials cataloging community will
consider this proposal closely and offer comment. In particular, section 7
of the proposal poses some open questions, our answers to which could
potentially influence the outcomes of the proposal.

Because of the length and complexity of the proposal, we have created a
working copy in Google Docs which will allow in-line comments, accessible
at this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o7kQFXCUbZZVqCziPKdmySL-Faiy3MuEqLWM0bffqrA/edit?usp=sharing

If you are unable to access this document, or if you have comments,
questions, or discussion of a more general nature, you may also send your
comments to DCRM-L or directly to me at matthew.haugen at columbia.edu.

The deadline for comment is *Friday, August 29*. I will collect any
feedback and incorporate it into our response to the proposal. Thank you in
advance for your participation!

Matthew Haugen
RBMS/BSC Liaison to CC:DA

Matthew C. Haugen