[DCRM-L] Citations in RDA

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Tue Aug 19 14:01:47 MDT 2014

I have to agree with Richard on the basic point that the bibliographic
object relationship to a citation is not a subject relationship, although
I would go at the problem from a different angle.   One might as well say
that the bibliographic record has a subject relationship to the
bibliographic object.  Such thinking is possible, but I do not believe
that it would help users or librarians.

One can say that the bibliographic object is an instance of the
description cited in the resource.  Sometimes a particular manifestation
or even an item might be described in a given bibliographic citation, but
the citation is not so much about the bibliographic object but a
description/surrogate of/for it.

I hope this helps rather than confuses the issue.

Larry
--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Archives and Special Collections Dept.
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu

On Tue, August 19, 2014 12:16 pm, Schneider, Nina wrote:
> Francis
>
> Sorry for the long delay in responding. This draft is looking really
good.
> In Richard Noble’s email of 8/10, he states: “One cites these
resources as evidence for establishing WEMI relationships among
resources:
> a matter of identification. Treating the "described in/describes"
relationship as "subject" is accordingly a category error.” Although
the
> language of RDA is one with which I struggle, I think that the
> relationship between the bibliographic entry and the WEMI (or the EMI)
could be considered a subject relationship. The item described/listed in
the bibliographic entry is the subject of that entry.

> Nina
>

> +---------------
> Nina M. Schneider
> Head Cataloger
> William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
> 2520 Cimarron Street
> Los Angeles, CA  90018
> (323) 731-8529
>
> nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu<mailto:nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu>
> http://www.clarklibrary.ucla.edu/

Behalf Of Lapka, Francis
> Sent: Friday, August 08, 2014 6:58 AM
> To: DCRM Users' Group
> Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Citations in RDA
>
> It’s good to know that we have someone on the Technical Working Group
looking out for our interests!  I too have mixed feelings about the
treatment of the “described in/describes” relationship as subject;
but
> I don’t feel knowledgeable enough about the FRSAD model to argue that
case (others are welcome to!).

> To get the ball rolling for our support of Recommendations 3 and 4,
here’s a start:

> RBMS supports Recommendations 3 and 4. The practice of making References
to Published Descriptions is vital to special collections cataloging.
For
> descriptive cataloging, the addition of attributes for Reference to
Published Citation (Manifestation) and Reference to Published Citation
(Item) would be very welcome. They would formally provide RDA elements
for
> citations of the kind that we record in MARC bibliographic field 510.
While Reference to Published Citation (Work) and Reference to Published
Citation (Expression) are generally out of scope of DCRM, they would be
logical additions as well.

> Current community practice (as embodied in Standard Citation Forms for
Rare Book Cataloging) places an emphasis on citations as attributes;
however, we do look forward to the possibility of expressing these
citations as relationships. To that end, Recommendation 4 is a necessary
component of the current proposal. It is imperative that we are able to
establish a relationship between the Manifestation/Item in hand and the
Expression of the bibliography (etc.) in which it is cited. Expressions
of