[DCRM-L] OCLC cataloging question

Shiner, Elaine eshiner at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 5 11:50:01 MDT 2014

Hello:

This is a variation of an theme that has come up before.

In the process of adding a copy to an Aldine record, I discovered that I actually had a different issue.  In my issue, the title-page was a different setting of type, but with exactly the same text.  Also, the printer's devices on the t.p. and final leaves were very similar in the 2 issues, but not identical.  The issues are easy to identify because 1 has a dedication and summary (Argumentum) on the t.p. verso, while the t.p. verso of the other is blank.

I haven't noticed any description of the 2 issues in any bibliographies that I've checked (although to begin with, I wasn't looking for that).

OCLC has more than 10 records for this edition, with various numbers of holdings attached.  Only one of these records the dedication as a contents item, but it doesn't make any mention of another issue.

If I decided to make a new dcrmb OCLC record for the "other" issue, I'm not sure which issue to describe, since all the other OCLC records, save 1, (and their holdings) could represent either issue.

If I changed 1 record to say "Two issues are noted ...," describing the two issues, I could then report all other qualifying OCLC records for that edition as duplicates.

What is the best thing to do, in this case?

Elaine Shiner,
Rare Book Cataloger
Houghton Library
eshiner at fas.harvard.edu