[DCRM-L] Symbol used in preliminary signatures

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Mar 5 12:29:04 MST 2014

It's an asterism, though I don't think I'd use the term without explaining
it. It's a legit typographical term, but rather esoteric, rather like
"apostrophus" for "turned C" (which is literally what a turned C is). I
suppose it's still as asterism, even when, as here, it appears to be an
arrangement of full stops, not stars.

If this were simply the third preliminary signature, preceded by * and 2*,
I'd call it 3*; but in this case it isn't intended to represent a multiple
of asterisks, as is sometimes the case.

Further comment would be welcomed by me.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>