[DCRM-L] "BRVXELLES" versus "BRUXELLES" in 1663

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Sun Mar 9 12:23:19 MDT 2014

Interesting example of a re-setting of type where it's all "V" in one, and a mix of "V" and "U" in the other in a blog post by Goran Proot (Curator of Rare Books at the Folger). See http://collation.folger.edu/2014/03/v-and-u-in-17th-century-flemish-book-imprints/ -- the Folger pamphlet isn't yet in our online catalog, but there is an entry for it in the STCV (Short Title Catalogus Vlandren). Because STCV transcription rules do not convert letterform when converting case, and because STCV records include photos of title pages, the difference becomes apparent, and Goran was able to do a statistical analysis of U and V with a dataset of 992 examples of a "V" or a "U" in the name of the place of publication.

I'm supposed to write a follow-up Collation post about current DCRM transcription rules, and am dreading it. As they say, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Interim Head of Collection Information Services and Cataloging; Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20009  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  fax +1 202-675-0328  |  www.folger.edu