[DCRM-L] Off-topic: online library school program

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Fri May 9 15:01:56 MDT 2014

Deborah,
We tend to advertise entry-level positions in our department.  Our recent
experience has been that from 1/4-1/2 of the applications in any group are
from candidates with an online MLIS or equivalent.  If the decree is
ALA-accredited we don't make any particular distinction between online and
on-campus degrees.  From my point of view, someone who is holding down a
full-time position while doing a degree, online or on-campus, has my full
respect and gets good marks for commitment to the profession.

What can be more important is whether the individual has pre-professional
experience in archival and/or special collections.  Someone with
pre-professional experience with special collections knows what the field
requires and has a track record of performance.

We also pay attention to the internships of archivists.  Some schools have
excellent programs.  Internships or independent studies are not required,
but they often provide experience in reconciling education with practical
needs.

Larry
--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Archives and Special Collections Dept.
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu