[DCRM-L] Off-topic: online library school program

Fri May 9 15:29:46 MDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

My personal experience and attitudes agree with so much that has been said here. I agree completely about steering those without library experience away from distance or online courses. I've been hearing that online programs can be just as rigorous as in-person programs. Given that, the remaining primary advantages of in-person programs is socialization as librarians and making connections in the field. People who work in libraries can have those advantages in their workplace.

What makes a candidate attractive to me is evidence of interest and enthusiasm in rare materials and/or cataloging, by seeking out coursework and internships, and especially RBMS preconference or Rare Book School attendance.

That said, there may be those involved with hiring who take a dimmer view of online education, or even of low-reputation in-person programs. If so, please feel free to email me privately.

Can anyone direct me to sources that rank or evaluate online programs? (Please let's not have that discussion here!)

Thanks, and wishes for a fabulous weekend to all,

Deborah

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu