[DCRM-L] Off-topic: online library school program

Mike Garabedian m.garabedian at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:35:00 MDT 2014

This may be off-topic the off topic, but I would just note that it seems
like especially for folks interested in working in/with rare books and
manuscripts and archives, the issue is yet where to get this kind of
experience. Though things have changed much since I earned my MLS way back
in 2005 -- or when I wrote http://rbm.acrl.org/content/7/1/55.full.pdf+html,
back in 2006 -- anecdotal evidence from friends and colleagues bears out
that in the main online or 'traditional' MLS programs still offer little by
way of training/instruction for special collections librarianship, so those
continuing education opportunities -- in addition to internships and
conference attendance, not to mention valuable paraprofessional experience
like the kind your colleague is racking up at the Folger -- continue to be
of paramount importance.

Yours,
MG
--