[DCRM-L] DCRM(M) vs dcrmm

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Fri May 16 17:50:40 MDT 2014

Colleagues

In light of the email announcing that "dcrmm" has been approved as a Description Convention Source Code in OCLC -- for use in 040 $e (see Technical Bulletin 263, OCLC-MARC Format Update 2014, Phase 1 : http://www.oclc.org/support/services/worldcat/documentation/tb/263.en.html), I'd like to point out that Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Music) has not. Although DCRM(M) is under the final review phase, it has not been approved for use by the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) nor by the Music Library Association (MLA).

We sought approval for the OCLC convention code in advance so that once DCRM(M) is published, catalogers can use it immediately. If you recall, there was a long delay between the publication of DCRM(G) and approval of  040 $e dcrmg.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Nina

Nina M. Schneider
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee

Head Cataloger
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018