[DCRM-L] Odd signing

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Thu Nov 20 09:04:14 MST 2014

I agree completely - and in case anyone might be amused by an even odder example, here’s one from an incunable, Buch der Kunst, dadurch der weltliche Mensch mag geistlich werden (Augsburg: Johann Bämler, 23 August 1491; Goff B-1267).

π8 M8 c8 χ8 D8 P8 E8 L8 I2 H8 G8 F8 K8 N8 Q4 (π1, Q4 blank).

Except for c and Q, $3 is signed with a lower-case letter corresponding to that of the first leaf, without a number (for example, M3 is signed “m”, and $2 is unsigned.  Gathering c is anomalous in the first two leaves, which are both signed in lower case: c1-3 are signed “cj”, “cij”, and “c”, respectively).

The text is in the correct order, as demonstrated by other editions.  There have been attempts to connect the order of letters to some arcane symbolism, but I have found no plausible explanation - and it’s hard to see how the signatures could be interpreted by a binder without a cheat sheet, beyond the fact that the sheets signed with lower-case letters nest within those signed with upper-case.

John Lancaster