[DCRM-L] nomenclature assistance

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Wed Oct 8 16:54:57 MDT 2014

Nina,
I looked in Carter's ABC, 2nd ed.
(https://www.ilab.org/eng/documentation/29-abc_for_book_collectors.html),
and the entry for "Waste" does seem like it might be construed to cover
your situation:

"Spoiled or surplus printed sheets are called waste. Binders have often
used these in the back of a volume, for making up boards, or in earlier
days for endpapers. Such waste might derive either from a printing
house (proofs, trial sheets, over-running the desired quantity) ...."

This does involve the notion that the extra sheets be expected to be used
in binding, but it does not require it.  If you think that the term
printer's waste does not work, how about "extra printed sheets (or
leaves)," :surplus printed sheets" "print overrun," or the like?  Or use
the term in the finding aid and make an access point for that?

Best,
Larry

P.S. I am at home and cannot check any of the usual suspects.  Carter is
on the BSC Directory of Internet Resources

--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Archives and Special Collections Dept.
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu