[DCRM-L] 2 questions (concerning dimensions of full-bleed image + trial proofs)

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Wed Oct 8 20:26:45 MDT 2014

Hello!

As long as you follow the general rule to "record dimensions in terms of height x width and specify what was measured" (5D1.1) you're fine. For more specific guidance, I'd look to 5D3.2., the instructions for planographic prints (even though what you have is, presumably, a giclée or some other kind of direct print). That instruction says generally record the size of the image area, with the option of recording sheet dimensions instead. Since it's a modern art print (where all impressions will be on the same size sheet), I'd go with the sheet size. As you say, it's clearer. Making a note is optional, but helpful. Is it definitely a pre-cut sheet printed to the edge rather than a larger sheet with the bleed area trimmed off? If you can't be sure, saying "Borderless print" in the note would be safer.

For a trial proof, you always have the option of using the same record as the main print run (it's the "Alternative rule" for area 2). But you're right that the visual difference between a trial proof and the final version means it can be considered a different manifestation -- it's not like an Artist's proof, which is visually the same as the numbered edition. Using [Trial proof] for the 250 makes sense, or [Épreuve d’essai] if you're cataloging in French.

Best,

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D. | Head of Collection Information Services | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003 | eblake at folger.edu | office tel. +1 202-675-0323 | fax +1 202-675-0328 | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu>