[DCRM-L] Connexion client macros

Nickeson, Walter wnickeson at library.rochester.edu
Thu Oct 9 07:12:41 MDT 2014

The simplest way to get macros from the web is to save the macro books (usually by right-clicking on the macro book name) to the directory: X:\Program Files\OCLC\Connexion\Program\Macros\.

To get an individual macro from my web page, you can, as you note, create a new macro in Connexion's macro editor. Paste into it the text copied from the web. (Click on the macro name link to display the macro text, then copy the whole page and paste it into the editor.) Make sure you delete or overwrite the handful of existing lines the editor supplies for you in a new macro. Then press [F6] or click the check mark icon in the middle of the toolbar to compile the macro. This action also saves it. You don't have to change the name or description in the macro organizer, but you'll have less confusion if they match what's in the source (leaving the macro name as "New macro" isn't very helpful!).

Note that if you create a new macro in one of the macro books OCLC supplies with Connexion, it will get lost when you upgrade or if you have to reinstall the client. You should keep all macros you create or copy in a non-OCLC macro book to avoid this problem. My newest macro, "MacroIndex," can help keep track of where dozens (or scores) or macros are kept.

The final step is to assign a keystroke shortcut to the macro. You can do this in the Client with the menu commands Tools>Keymaps... "Display Commands for Category": Macro, then select the macro from the macro book list window. Click in the "Press New Shortcut Key" window and enter the keystroke you want. Click the "Assign" button to finish up.

I don't have a macro to help you judge how worthwhile the use of any particular macro might be . :-)

  Walter F. Nickeson, Catalog &
    Metadata Management Librarian
  Rush Rhees Library
  University of Rochester