[DCRM-L] rda/dcrmb question (5xx fields)

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Fri Oct 31 17:58:58 MDT 2014

We've started trying to avoid abbreviations in notes as much as possible at our institution. Abbreviations that look perfectly ordinary to catalogers and traditional special collections researchers --  t.p., cf., fol., and so on -- can contribute to the unfortunate stereotype that non-traditional researchers and newcomers aren't welcome.

Some cryptic systems are important for people to learn if they want to really understand hand-press books (for instance, "Signatures: A-X4 Y2") so it's better not to throw in abbreviations whose main purpose is saving space on typed cards or preventing writers'-cramp when handwriting.

And in the case of "cf." you have the added benefit of being able to write either "Compare..." or "Consult...", whichever nuance is more appropriate.

Personal aside: for years, I made a point of correctly using "e.g." and "i.e." in my writing (not just in catalog records) under the misguided impression that others would benefit from my stellar example and stop thinking they're synonyms. Then one day, I realized that being a pedant about it just made me look uptight and pretentious; it wouldn't make one whit of difference, since the target audience doesn't realize there's an issue; and it wouldn't help communicate my message because many people wouldn't know whether I meant "for example" or "in other words."

Erin.

----------------
Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0323>  |  fax +1 202-675-0328<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0328>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Oksana Linda
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 3:44 PM
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: [DCRM-L] rda/dcrmb question (5xx fields)

Hello:
My question is about spelling in 5xx fields.
Should we spell words like "Cf." in the note field? (for example when I cite reference sources "500 Cf. Library Company. Afro-Americana, 8271" or should be "Confer Library Company. Afro-Americana, 8271" or "Consult Library Company. Afro-Americana, 8271"). What about words like "volume" and "page" in 500 or 510 fields? (for example, "Publisher's advertisements on pages 30-34" or "510 4_ Dornbusch, C.E. Civil War,$cvolume 2, 2953")??

Thank you,
Oksana.

Oksana K. Linda
William L. Clements Library