[DCRM-L] Genre Term Song Sheets

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Apr 2 08:46:52 MDT 2015

When I was doing research for notes on a ballad opera (George Lillo,
*Silvia*) the term "song sheet" denoted an engraved sheet *with* the music,
as opposed to letterpress broadside ballads, which most often lacked it,
since they were written to existing tunes that were designated by name.
Some have nonsense woodcut musical notation as décor.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>