[DCRM-L] CERL as an alternative for OCLC?

Jennifer Schaffner jennifer.schaffner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:42:50 MDT 2015

Erin -

May I jump in here to plug CERL's thesaurus (http://thesaurus.cerl.org/)? I
believe that the thesaurus does not require membership for research use,
but 'm not sure about ties between membership and contribution. Also, CERL
publishes its metadata as linked open data (
http://www.cerl.org/resources/cerl_thesaurus/linkeddata).

I have recently been working on a project about scholarly research with
library metadata (including digital scholarship). Along these lines, CERL's
workshop on provenance last summer at the SHARP conference was brilliant.
Rare materials catalogers internationally might already be following or
participating in CERL's collaborative project to build out shared
infrastructure for copy-specific metadata.

I wonder if there are folks on this list who attended the provenance
workshop at the Warburg last month? I, for one, would benefit from learning
more about thoughts on the data model, interoperable and shareable
metadata, and how scholars can contribute and improve the descriptions, as
we all uncover new knowledge about our rare materials. (Please write me
directly, so as not to clutter up this list.)

The blurb for the Warburg workshop is still on the web at
http://www.ifla.org/node/9206 (excerpt below).

Jennifer Schaffner

The theme of the meeting is "A coordinated approach to recording and
searching provenance records and images: moving forward."  Organised by
Raphaële Mouren and Cristina Dondi, the meeting will include discussion of
the following topics: The historical framework: why are we gathering
provenance data?; Why do we need to work together?; Metadata: an agreed
model/structure; Interoperability;  A contributed model: scholars,
libraries, and research institutions; What we have, what we need.  There
will also be a business meeting of the IFLA Rare Books and Manuscripts
Section.

Sponsored by IFLA RBMS, The Warburg Institute, CERL, 15cBOOKTRADE, CILIP
RBSCG.

 There already is an organization that has made great strides with rare