[DCRM-L] Question re: Manuscript Waste Binding Term

Erin Schreiner ESchreiner at nysoclib.org
Fri Apr 17 10:15:20 MDT 2015

I'm posting this on behalf of my colleague, Laura O'Keefe:

Dear Colleagues,

When we use “Manuscript waste (Binding)” in a 655 field and include a time period (for instance, ǂy 16th century), does that time period refer to the century when the volume in hand was bound, or to the date of the manuscript itself?

I’m sure the answer to this question is in the literature in a blindingly obvious place, but since I can’t find it, I’ve come to you with cataloging hat in hand.  Many thanks for any advice.

Best wishes,

Laura K. O’Keefe
Head of Cataloging and Special Collections
The New York Society Library