[DCRM-L] 6JSC/LC/32: Revision to instructions for devised titles in RDA 2.3.2.11

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Thu Aug 13 11:22:29 MDT 2015

I have mixed feeling about the LC proposal on devised titles.

My first quibble is pedantic. RDA defines a devised title as “A title proper *created by an agency* preparing a description of a resource that bears no title itself and has no title associated with it that can be found in other sources …” (my emphasis added). If we record the opening words of a text, etc., as the title proper, the agency is not creating the title, so it is not really devised; so does that option really fit here?

My second concern is more substantial. There appears to be significant redundancy between the data recorded as devised title for Title Proper of the manifestation and the data recorded as devised title for Title of the Work (see 6.2.2.6.2). For most of the examples of devised titles in 2.3.2.11 – including the format specific instructions in 2.3.2.11.1-2.3.2.11.4 – the (devised) Title of the Work would be identical. “Typescript draft of chapters 3-20 of Natchez pilgrimage” may be an exception.

So perhaps we should reconsider the point of devised titles for manifestations? We might:

a) require that a devised title for a manifestation include manifestation-specific information (as in “Typescript draft …”);

or

b) consider that the Title Proper is always transcribed information (and nothing more). If there’s nothing to transcribe, record nothing.

I lean to the latter option. Keep in mind that the Preferred Title for the Work is a core element in RDA, so even if we omit a Title Proper, the devised title for the work would still appear in the description of the resource.

Should I duck?

Francis