[DCRM-L] local data in OCLC

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Mon Aug 31 07:15:06 MDT 2015

I agree with Francis. Unless the note assists in the identification of
manifestation, which would appear in a 500 note anyway, I don’t think item
specific information relative to provenance, condition, etc. would be
helpful. As Francis notes, it only would create more work in terms of
deleting irrelevant notes, and should such notes slip through quality
control (it happens), it could only lead to confusion. I can see one of our
reference librarians storming into my office demanding where to find John
Hancock’s signature in a particular volume, only to find out the note in
our catalog relates to a copy held by AAS.

We are not an IR library, but I rely on those records almost daily to sift
through the dross in OCLC, especially in locating hidden editions, variant
states, etc. I will certainly miss having access to those records!

Best,

Will