[DCRM-L] Deletion of copy-specific fields/data from OCLC master?

Ryan Hildebrand rhilde at uoregon.edu
Tue Dec 15 11:47:42 MST 2015

I've noted recent discussions on the topic of adding local/copy-specific data to OCLC masters in response to the discontinuation of Institution Records. At the same time, I am aware that some libraries delete this information from master records when encountered. I'm thinking specifically of copy numbers, bookplates, and other provenance information that does not support the bibliographic description or other non-local access points. What is the pulse of the group? Do you delete this information and replace the OCLC master, or leave it alone? References to relevant OCLC or PCC policies would be appreciated.

Personally, I've always been hesitant to delete this kind of information from master records, because I've been able to remove it before exporting the record to the local catalog. My feelings on this are radically changing, as at University of Oregon, we are part of a consortium-implementation of Exlibris' Alma, in which our local records are tied to OCLC masters. In this environment, other libraries' local data is a constant problem. Yes, it might be possible to address this through display options (norm rules), and I intend to look into this further, but the consortium aspect adds layers of difficulty.

Thanks,
Ryan

---
Ryan Hildebrand
Authorities & Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Oregon Libraries
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299
(541) 346-1844