[DCRM-L] Deletion of copy-specific fields/data from OCLC master?

Shiner, Elaine P. eshiner at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 15 13:12:44 MST 2015

I’ve always left local data in, as long as the field(s) had a $$5 at the end.  But perhaps it’s better to remove local information, for all the reasons mentioned by Ryan and Richard.  The only guideline I can find in OCLC documentation is the following (in “Brief guidelines for editing and replacing WorldCat master records”):
AVOID including local data or local practices in a master bibliographic record.
That would seem to provide some official encouragement, at least, for removing local data from the master record.

Elaine Shiner,
Rare Book Cataloger
Houghton Library, Harvard University

eshiner at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:eshiner at fas.harvard.edu>