[DCRM-L] Deletion of copy-specific fields/data from OCLC master?

Allison Jai O'Dell ajodell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:41:29 MST 2015

I agree with Deborah, Ryan, and Ted regarding copy-specific details that
supply manifestation-relevant information.

As for truly-truly copy-specific information:  My thinking on this topic
changed a few years ago, after talking with researchers who were astounded
and outraged that libraries might be deleting data that is critical to
their work.

I agree with Francis that our current display mechanisms and data model
isn't the best for meeting user needs re: former owner info and the like.
I hope/assume that Jackie's team is going to address these concerns?

Personally, I want to push for changes in our displays and models -- not
delete valuable data that users want, in order to fit a situation that,
apparently, isn't meeting user needs.

Does this make sense?  I'm totally open to other perspectives and ideas.
But I am, for the record, hesitant to delete data that researchers have
told me loud and clear they want access to.

Allison