[DCRM-L] Folio or broadsheet?

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Dec 22 08:13:07 MST 2015

Dave Stump has called this one correctly, from the paper evidence of the
single sheets alone. Beyond that, and more definitively, the preliminaries
include what appear from the signatures to be sheets of folio in 2s, and
the text ends with a gathering *^6. (There are some complications that are
not easily resolvable from a page-by-page online display, but basic make-up
is obvious.) If the paper is the same throughout, you have your answer:
it's folio, largely made up of folio half sheets (single leaves),
presumably printed work-and-turn, very efficient and typical of the work of
this period.

The obvious reason for the single leaves is to facilitate binding of the
plate descriptions with the plates.

Based on quick inspection of: http://doc.rero.ch/record/11684

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>